Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Day Three in Berlin

I stayed up too late last night working on the World slideshow that I volunteered to create for this gathering,  For the last two months I have been gathering slides from groups around the world so that those of us here can catch a glimpse of the depth, the breadth and the width of the ministry that is the work of DIAKONIA around the world  It has been a blessing, a prayer blessing for me, and one that I am so pleased to be able to share with the participants of this gathering  We will play these 524 pictures after the formal presentations tomorrow night which is "Culture Night".  People will be able to watch it while holding conversations, or come and go when they feel like it.

Our presentations today challenged us to think about how diakonia is lived out in our world and we learned some about Hildegard von Bingen and her holistic approach to wholeness and healing. I took copious notes from the first speaker, not so many on Hildegard, just listened.  It is hard work to listen to simultaneous translations, and by mid afternoon, it was warm and I was sleepy.  I didn't succumb, but it was very hard work! I will need to spend some time pondering the first speaker's words before I can reflect on them. 

This afternoon we had time with our small group once again.  It was a rich time of sharing and reflection  Today, Doris Horn had to attend a meeting of the Executive Committee, so we had to translate among ourselves.  It was truly wonderful to see people step up to the job, and others recognize that they actually could speak English with clarity, (and that I am getting much better with my German!)

After dinner we held our first DOTAC regional meeting, which was attended by about 100 people.  We are so pleased with our turnout, we have 6 from Brazil, which is more than have ever come before, 6 from the Diakonia of the United Churches of Canada, 30 from the Lutheran Deaconess Association, 40 from the Order of Deaconesses, Home Missioners and Home Missionaries of the United Methodist Church.  Forgive me that I don't have the counts for all of the other groups. Everyone  participated fully in the get acquainted activity and truly seemed to enjoy themselves.  The only disappointment is that they  didn't get to hear my Treasurer's report which I KNOW is the highlight of every DOTAC gathering! :)

Then we finished with wonderful worship!  I have learned so many NEW songs this time around, I can't wait to try them at home and to teach them to my friend, Julie Kae.  It's time for pictures.

Blessings abound at this place.  Thanks be to God.

 
Back view of the Church, from Festsaal

 
ELCA Deaconesses- Liz's Community!

 
I can't resist pictures of these hats :)

 
DOTAC Regional Meeting

 
Proof that I am here -with my friends from DIAKONIA Asia Pacific
 
 
Evening Prayer on Tuesday

 
Morning Prayer this Morning
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Jan, thank you for your blog entries. You worked hard on that slide show - I'll guess it was wonderful. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Blessings, Annette

    ReplyDelete